Thursday, December 19, 2013

Epic News Story - WKYC and Kris Pickel

Dear amazing community,

Your unending support of Plain Jane The SHOCKUMENTARY is greatly appreciated.  Reaching out to the mainstream media was rather stressful though because I generally am disgusted by how people with disabilities are represented.  The risk of exploitation for the sake of ratings was a legitimate concern.  I carefully selected the local news personality whom I thought would represent me and this film with integrity and sent her the following email.
Dear Ms. Pickel, 
After reading your bio on the WKYC website, I feel you are the most appropriate person to help me share what I have to share. You seem fearless and compassionate which, are two qualities I highly respect.
I am a 39-year-old, lifelong resident of northeast Ohio. I also have a disability…a connective tissue disorder that causes me to be very small and fragile. A common misconception of people with disabilities is that we are exempt from all the joys and sorrows life has to offer. As if, our disabilities define who and what we are. While this may actually be true for some people, it is not my truth. 
Throughout my journey, navigating life from a wheelchair, people have repeatedly told me that I inspired them to overcome their fears and inhibitions. This happens more often as I get older and have more diverse life experiences. Hearing the numerous tales of how I inspired others to do what they once thought was impossible, inspired me and made me want to reach out to more people. 
With no budget, no story board, and no experience I found a Videographer and said, “Hey, let’s make a documentary about my life.” He looked at me like I was crazy and then agreed to work with me. That was over five years ago.

“Plain Jane The SHOCKUMENTARY” is now completed and will be released, directly to DVD, on December 2, 2013. At the risk of sounding egotistical, it turned out amazing! It is not your typical documentary. It moves very quickly. Artists in northeast Ohio do all the music on the soundtrack. Also, it is intended for adult audiences only due to nudity and delicate subject matter.

I would appreciate the opportunity to talk about this project with you and our community. If you would consider interviewing me, that would be fantastic. We can arrange it so that you can view the film prior to our interview as well. 
Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.
Respectfully,
Jane Hash
If you have seen the story Kris Pickel put together, then you know I picked the right person!  She did a fantastic job and we couldn't be more happy.

Thank you Kris Pickel and WKYC News!

No comments:

Post a Comment